Subject: Re: Moving BSD to another harddisc
To: port-arm32 Netbsd <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Robert Black <r.black@ic.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 03/26/1997 11:33:42
On Mar 25,  8:52pm, John Wright wrote:
> Subject: Moving BSD to another harddisc
> Hi,
>
> I've got BSD on a 420MB HD. I've got a 1Gb HD which I want it on.
> I thought that the only way to move the swap partition (initialise
> everything too) was to run through the install procedure again)

Not quite true, but you really need to know what you're doing otherwise.

> The last time I did this I had install disc 11 which worked first time.
> I'm now trying to use install disc 12. Come to think of it, this isn't the
> problem but it might add another factor to it.
>
> I read the install text file. It says rd0a which I interpret as md0a. This
> is right, yes. Ram disc changed to memory disc? I select 1440K as it's
> size but, when actually booting BSD, it says 0K allocated to md0a.

This is correct as long as you have

a) A newish bootloader.

b) A newish kernel.

c) A newish install disc.

All of these should be dated this year.

> It then throws me into the debugger.
>
> I think that's most of the information that's needed in a situation like
> this.
>
> Also, I remember talk about the PowerRom being a problem but I forget
> the way it was fixed.
>
> To ellaborate: I get loads of SCSI-resets when BSD searching the podules
> and identifies a ptsc SCSI podule. I then force a kernel panic with Ctrl-Esc
> then something programs something saying the the podule with the SCSI card
> in it doesn't actually exist so I can boot BSD fine.

I can't remember how to fix this either, but I guess it is probably an option
to the bootloader to disable powertec SCSI cards (PowerROM SCSI cards probe as
Powertec because a SCSI card with a PowerROM fitted does not conform to Acorn's
expansion card specification - since we have no way of identifying cards fitted
with PowerROMs we cannot support them). I suggest you look at one of the web
archives of this list. IIRC Mark posted saying how to disable Powertec SCSI
cards at the end of February. Alternatively you could download the kernel
source and compile your own kernels without Powertec SCSI support.

Cheers

Rob