Subject: Installation Query
From: Ross Clewley <phuqd@warwick.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 03/19/1997 15:01:51
Hello

I'm trying to install RiscBSD on an SA powered RPC.

I take it that I need to be installing release 1.2.
However, since the only documentation that I can find is for installing the
1.1 Beta release, I'm having to assume that the procedure is the same as for
that. However, there are several points that I am unclear on.

Firstly, which is the appropraite kernel to be using. The one I have had the
most success with is sa110-4958.

Secondly, in the instructions in Step 6, it says that riscbsd should be
booted via the ramdisc and hence the root device should be set to /dev/rd0a.
However, if I do this the boot process is halted with the message 'panic:
cannot mount root'.

It made more sense to me to set the root device to /dev/fd0a in the
bootloader window since the floppy is where init was installed using the
flopwrite program. This works better. The installation program proceeds up
until the stage where I have to allocate the swap partition size. After
specifying this the installation process is halted with the message

ffs: /dev/rd0 on /:specified device does not match mounted device
// install: cannot create /etc/disktab: read-only file system

Any idea why this is happening? In the initial boot messages it says

WARNING: NO SWAP SPACE FOUND

Is this going to be significant?

Any help would be gratefully received.

Cheers