Subject: Re: Virtual memory (I think)
From: Robert Black <r.black@ic.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 03/14/1997 11:41:25
On Mar 13, 11:15pm, Reuben Thomas wrote:
> Subject: Virtual memory (I think)
> When using X the computer freezes every thirty seconds or so for a second
> or two. It seems to access the disk. Is this paging of some sort going on?
> Why the freeze? Is there any way I can stop it?

This isn't anything to do with X. It is a process called update which updates
the hard disk. The freeze you are seeing is StrongARM specific and is a feature
of the way the StrongARM's cache works. I suspect that Mark will look into this
in depth within the next month or two. Several of the kernel team have looked
into this already to see whether there was an easy fix. There isn't without
introducing a bug into update (the fixing of which caused the freezes to start
happening) so don't hold your breath. Mark did post a way of reintroducing the
bug a while back, so if you prefer to risk a corrupted disk than live with the
hangs you could look in the list archives.

Cheers

Rob