Subject: Re: Networking questions?
To: Dave J Thorn <dave@axa.co.uk>
From: Mike Pumford <mpumford@black-star.demon.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 03/12/1997 23:29:01
On Wed, 12 Mar 1997, Mike Pumford wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Mar 1997, Dave J Thorn wrote:
>

> > On Wed, 12 Mar 1997, Mike Clark wrote:
> You can fix this by telling sendmail your domain name in /etc/sendmail.cf
> with the line
> Dhostname.domain
I checked this in my /etc/sendmail.cf at home and it does not seem
correct. Djhostname.domain may work but I am not sure.

The way I solved this at home is to have an entry in my /etc/hosts which
defines my fully qualified domain name as the name entry with just the
machine name as an alternative name. I then configured my machine to do
name lookups from the hosts file first by adding the line:
lookup file bind

to /etc/resolv.conf.

This allows sendmail to resolve my machines full name even when no
nameservers are available.

--
Mike Pumford   | Home: mpumford@black-star.demon.co.uk