Subject: Re: Serial port / LW NT (fwd)
To: Patrick Welche <prlw1@cam.ac.uk>
From: Mike Pumford <mpumford@mpc-data.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 03/07/1997 15:49:43
On Fri, 7 Mar 1997, Patrick Welche wrote:

> > I am having problems printing to a LaserWriter II NT, namely nothing
> > comes out. If anyone can shed some light on the problem, I would be
> > most grateful!
> >
> > The story so far:
> >
> > baud:		9600
> > parity:		none-mark
> > handshake:	DSR/DTR
> > data bits:	standard/7
> > stop bits:	1
> >
> > The only way I can get it to print from RiscOS is with 8 data bits,
> > not 7, so 9600, 8N1, use DCD, DSR, CTS.
> >
> > >From RiscBSD, I tried the following printcap:
> >
> > lp|local line printer:\
> > 	:lp=/dev/tty00:sd=/var/spool/lpd:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:\
> > 	:br#9600:ms=cs8,-parenb,-cstopb,-crtscts,-clocal,-ixon:
> >
> > and the result is the on-line light flashes, but no printout
> > appears. Resending with cs7, the on-line light flashes a few times,
> > then stops, still with no printout. I am unclear what clocal actual
> > means:
> >      clocal (-clocal)     Assume a line without (with) modem con-
> >                           trol.
> > Is modem control == DSR/DTR ? (or something like xmodem - what I am
> > missing?)

Two questions. Can you change the baud rate to something other than 9600?

How current is the kernel that you are using?

A bug that was and maybe still is in the i386 and therfore the arm32 com
driver means that unless a speed of other than 9600 baud is set the
serial port is set the port is not initialised properly as this is the
default speed that is configured inside the driver.

A quick examination of the 'current' com.c suggests that it does not have
this problem but I'll try it at home tonight.

Mike