Subject: Re: panic during RiscBSD install
To: None <Marcel_van_Eck@insad.nl>
From: Mark Brinicombe <amb@physig.ph.kcl.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 03/07/1997 14:54:23
On Fri, 7 Mar 1997 Marcel_van_Eck@insad.nl wrote:

> I am using !DTRiscBSD v2.87 & kernel SA110, 4958 on a 16 Mb RiscPC with 1Mb VRAM
> and the SA110 processor board. I have two harddisks: drive 4: 1Gb EIDE & drive
> 5: 210 Mb IDE. Drive 5 is formatted with a 8 Mb ADFS partition, the other 202 Mb
> are not formatted so this can be used for RiscBSD (as a start)...
>
>[cut]
>
> The install.txt says that I should enter the following in the !DTRiscBSD
> program:
> root device = /dev/rd0a
> swap device = /dev/wd1b   (for the use of drive 5)
>
> during boot in RiscBSD mode the following problem message appears:
> ---> panic: cannot mount root
> and the rootdisk in the diskdrive is not started.

Ok kernel 4958 was around the time some NetBSD wide changes were made to
the ramdisc renaming it memory disc. As a result the 4958 kernel does not
correctly understand rd0a anymore (cannot remember offhand if just
specifing a root device of /dev/md0a may get round it with that kernel)

I woudl suggest trying a slightly earlier kernel say 4871 which is prior
to this change.

> Then I tried the following:
>
> I have changed the root device to /dev/fd0a, so the rootdisk will be started and
> I am able to run the install program. However, as soon as the swap size has been
> filled in I get the following:
>
> ---> ffs:/dev/rd0 on /: specified device does not match mounted device
> ---> //install: cannot create /etc/disktab: read-only filesystem
> (this line apears twice)
>
> Is there someone who can tell me what have I done wrong?
Ok the root floppy image is designed to be run from the ramdisc which is
why you get this error about the specified device not matching.
It happens when the install script tries to mount the root filesystem
read/write so that it can write temporary files.

Cheers,
				Mark