Subject: panic during RiscBSD install
To: None <manar@ivision.co.uk>
From: None <Marcel_van_Eck@insad.nl>
List: port-arm32
Date: 03/07/1997 11:54:24
Marcel van Eck@INSAD
07-03-97 11:54

I have some problems on installing RiscBSD on my RiscPC. I am new to UNIX
platforms and definitly would like to run RiscBSD on my computer.

I am using !DTRiscBSD v2.87 & kernel SA110, 4958 on a 16 Mb RiscPC with 1Mb VRAM
and the SA110 processor board. I have two harddisks: drive 4: 1Gb EIDE & drive
5: 210 Mb IDE. Drive 5 is formatted with a 8 Mb ADFS partition, the other 202 Mb
are not formatted so this can be used for RiscBSD (as a start)...

After reading the install.txt carefully and doing exactly the things is says I
have encountered the following problem:

The install.txt says that I should enter the following in the !DTRiscBSD
program:
root device = /dev/rd0a
swap device = /dev/wd1b   (for the use of drive 5)

during boot in RiscBSD mode the following problem message appears:
---> panic: cannot mount root
and the rootdisk in the diskdrive is not started.

Then I tried the following:

I have changed the root device to /dev/fd0a, so the rootdisk will be started and
I am able to run the install program. However, as soon as the swap size has been
filled in I get the following:

---> ffs:/dev/rd0 on /: specified device does not match mounted device
---> //install: cannot create /etc/disktab: read-only filesystem
(this line apears twice)

Is there someone who can tell me what have I done wrong?

There was one more 'minor' problem. After a few lines of boot the screen changed
to a noisey display. I have encountered this problem by setting the 1 Mb VRAM
switch to 0 Mb in !DTRiscBSD. As soon as I started RiscBSD again it shows that
there is 1 Mb of VRAM and I assume RiscBSD will use the 1Mb VRAM correctly.