Subject: Re: stty bug?
To: Peter Teichmann <teich-p@Rcs1.urz.tu-dresden.de>
From: Ale Terlevich <A.I.Terlevich@durham.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 03/05/1997 09:57:51
On Tue, 4 Mar 1997, Peter Teichmann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Another problem: When I login as root I get the advice that I should not
> login as root, but shall use su. So I created another user uid 256 gid
> 256, but if I now try to "su root" I get a message that I am in the wrong
> group to su root.

  Ok, Only members of the wheel group can su to root.

Personally I am a member of wheel and operator. This lets me su to root
(wheel) and also lets me read/write to floppy,and run shutdown (operator).

  To add your user to a new group, add its username to the end of that
group's line in the /etc/group file. I think changes take effect the next
time that user logs in.

  Here's the first line of my /etc/group for example...
wheel:*:0:root,ale

  For more info on the group file see man group.

Hope this helps!

Ale.