Subject: Once again: 16bpp setting for X
To: Mark Brinicombe <amb@physig.ph.kcl.ac.uk>
From: Peter Teichmann <teich-p@Rcs1.urz.tu-dresden.de>
List: port-arm32
Date: 03/04/1997 17:47:08
Mark Brinicombe wrote:
> Not sure if this helps as I don't have a copy of the full original Q ;-)

Oh, so it probably did not reach the mailing list.
Some months ago I already described my problem, that I am not able to run X
with 32000 colours, and got the answer, that 32000 colours only work with
1024x768 pixels, and that it wont work with other resolutions due to a bug.
But now I found that Peter Berg is able to run X with 32000 colours and
without problems, and asked him how he does this. But he did nothing
special, only the same as I. And the only significant difference between our
computers is, that I have 1MB VRam, and he 2.

My old desription of the problem:

Some days ago I tried to run X with 32k colours. I used
setdisplay -x 800 -y 600 -f 63 -c 16 (I have only 1 MB VRam) This video mode
runs happily under RiscOS. The MDF is the same as under RiscOS. I started X
right after setdisplay.

But I only got rubbish to see, even when I decreased resolution to 640*480.

When I used 640*480*32k, I got the following to see on the screen:

 ##### 320 pixel #########   ################ 320 pixel ####################
| 1st half of 1st line     '  colour of last pixel of 1st half of 1st line  |
| 2nd half of 1st line     '  colour of last pixel of 2nd half of 1st line  |
| 1st half of 2nd line     '  colour of last pixel of 1st half of 2nd line  |
| 2nd half of 2nd line     '  colour of last pixel of 2nd half of 2nd line  |
.                                                                           .
.                                                                           .
.                                                                           .
| 1st half of 240th line   '  colour of last pixel of 1st half of 240th line|
| 2nd half of 240th line   '  colour of last pixel of 2nd half of 240th line|

The display was syncing correctly and was stable.

And when using 800*600*32k, it is nearly the same, but the VIDC doesn't seem
to get the right starting point of the line. It often starts some pixels to
late and looks like this: (In RiscOS the video mode works !)

But the colours are always ok. Only in startup screen they are wrong and
show nearly all 32k colours possible.

Does anyone know why it doesn't work?

Peter