Subject: Re: 16bpp setting for X
To: Peter Teichmann <teich-p@Rcs1.urz.tu-dresden.de>
From: Peter Berg <root@Kyra.FutureGroove.de>
List: port-arm32
Date: 03/03/1997 18:20:41
> Hi,
>
> I did not try your code, but I think you are right and it wont work too.
> Do you perhaps have 2MB VRam? I have only 1, and perhaps this doesn't work?

I have 2MB VRAM. Today I tried to run BSD in DRAM mode instead of VRAM, but
I got only a blue screen as the BSD initialized the console. Maybe the lack
of one MB VRAM in your machine is the reason for this. I only can suggest to
try it with 2MB VRAM again and see what happens. But the console device is
everything then finished and bug free. As far as I know, rob has started a
complete rewrite of the driver (once again). We'll see whether this will improve
things or not.

> The display was syncing correctly and was stable.
>
> But the colours are always ok. Only in startup screen they are wrong and
> show nearly all 32k colours possible.
>
> In RiscOS I have no problems with 32000 colours!

The RiscOS video driver is completely diffrent from the one used by BSD. BSD
is developed on well equiped machines so the highest state of possible
hardware is supported first and then the downsizing follows (or not).

In fact, BSD everytime seems to make use of the complete 2MB VRAM. If you
hold down the ALT key and press the up/down cursor keys you can see the
normally not vissible part of the VRAM. Maybe this is the reason for your
problem, BSD wants 2MB but only gets one.

Ciao, Peter

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
|                            >>> FutureGroove <<<                          |
| Peter Berg                                       Music production &      |
|                                                  softwaredevelopment     |
| w3: http://www.ww.tu-freiberg.de/~pberg                                  |
| email: Peter.Berg@ww.tu-freiberg.de                                      |
|                                           part time system administrator |
|                                                   at *.ww.tu-freiberg.de |