Subject: Re: unixfs problem
To: Simon Melhuish <sjm@jb.man.ac.uk>
From: Chris Gilbert <cg110@york.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/26/1997 18:40:15
Hi,

On Wed, 26 Feb 1997, Simon Melhuish wrote:

> New RiscBSD user seeks help...
>
> Some hardware info:
>   RPC600 + SA, 24 + 2 MB
>   Quantum Fireball 3.8 GB (7480 cylinder) - as master

Is this on the internal IDE interface?

> First of all, bb_riscbsd reports a filecore partition size of -3121
> blocks. Should it be negative? I used the hformbeta app to give RiscOS
> about 2.5 GB (5200 cylinders).

which cylinders does hformbeta report? eg
0 - 5200 is 5201 cylinders,
0 - 5199 is 5200 cylinders

Which cylinder did you give for the parking cylinder?

> Booting BSD from inst12.fs I then set the partitions on wd0 as follows:
>   /    41 cylinders
>   swap 49
>   /var 25
>   /usr 2165 (all that was left)
>
> The RiscBSD partition offset is 5200, the number of blocks in the RiscOS
> partition. Should it be 5201?

the start of the riscbsd offset is 5200, note if you got the value wrong
you get a long list of errors, I know from experience ;)

> Re-boot to RiscOS. Trying unixfs, e.g unixfs.wd0a, I get:
>   5
>   Error reading file system
>

> So, resorting to floppies I can get some sets installed. Got the rest by
> FTPing from BSD; X etc running nicely. Then crunch... disc label corrupted.
>
> Is there a way to fix this without going all the way back to bb_riscbsd?
> I didn't seem to be able to do anything much, with it not being able to
> mount '/' owing to the bad disc label.

try floppy disk booting, and running fsck, this might be able to sort it
(I don't know though)

> Any ideas how it might have happened in the first place?

Not really, it possible that you got the cylinder values wrong, but as
you've already had riscbsd running of the drive I'd think that they'd have
been ok.

Cheers,

Chris Gilbert