Subject: Re: Mouse doesn't work after x-startup
To: NetBSD port-arm32 <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ale Terlevich <A.I.Terlevich@durham.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/26/1997 12:30:52
On Wed, 26 Feb 1997, Adrian Gilby wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Feb 1997, Marc Meier wrote:
>
> > After starting X, twm is running and four windows, a tiny clock, a
> > login- and two x-term windows, are opened but the mouse fails to work.
> > The cursor stays in the middle of the screen while moving the mouse,
> > the hardware one, or using the numeric keypad.
>
> I had the same problem, but luckily having used UNIX systems before I
> know that they can be very pigheaded. You'll need to make the mouse
> device file readable and writeable by any user. It's called
> /dev/quadmouse, I think, or if not that's a link to it.

  Nope.  Here's mine...
garp:~> ls -l /dev/mouse
lrwx------  1 root  wheel  9 Oct 29 17:33 /dev/mouse@ -> quadmouse
garp:~> ls -l /dev/quadmouse
crw-------  1 root  wheel    9,   0 Sep 13 17:49 /dev/quadmouse
garp:~>

and X works fine.

  The easiest way to find out if it's a permissions error is to start X
as root and see if everything works.

  Is Xarm-27 suid root?

garp:~> ls -l /usr/X11/bin/Xarm-27
-rwsr-xr-x  1 root  bin  2646016 Oct 24 13:40 /usr/X11/bin/Xarm-27*

  Do you have the /dev/mouse to /dev/quadmouse link?

  Are you using a quadmouse, or is it a serial or ps2 mouse?

Ale.