Subject: Re: The day after 2...
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <KLE@SWE.GPPM.DE>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/25/1997 13:16:14
>>On Tue, 25 Feb 1997, KLE wrote:
>> Hi,

>> yesterday was a really black monday.
>>
>> I copied in RiscOs a large file (8MB).
>> Afterwards I copied the SA Kernel 4958
>> vi unixfs into the /tmp dir on the RiscBSD
>> partition.

>Ahh, /tmp? or /var/tmp? if you filled /tmp the default boot scripts clear
>it, but /tmp is also where temporary files are stored by processes

yes /tmp

>> Then I tried to boot and what happened ?
>> Some strange errors occured:
>> Bad super blocks ...
>> Either the copying of the large file or the
>> copying of the kernel to RiscBSD via unixfs
>> DESTROYED my RiscBSD partition.

>Did you kill unixfs when you finished using it?  before booting RiscBSD?
>I've heard that not doing so can be harmful, however I'm not sure if
>that's true or not.

I can't remember. I think it would be a good idea, if the booter
would kill unixfs in precaution, because some could forget it (me
too perhaps!).

Does perhaps a bug in RiscOs could be the reason ?
I initialized my HD with an older buggy Version of  !HFORM
as delivered with SA110 upgrade.

>> When I start bb_riscbsd  it shows
>> that 3121 cylinders are used by RiscOS and
> >in brackets bb_riscbsd shows (used cylinders 0-3122)
>> but if I figure it out I think it should be 3123
>> cyclinders which RISCOS uses. Are I wrong ?

>bb-riscbsd gives inclusive values, so it's reporting 3123 cylinders

>> The RiscBSD partition starts at 3123.

>Yes that's right...

>> It's a bit boring to install RiscBSD everyday new!

>I can imagine, but if you've got all the sets on disc somewhere it doesn't
>take that long (I know these things, I've reinstalled about 4 times,
>related to swapping discs etc)

I have the sets on CD but I cannot mount it even with the kernel
4781.
                          mount -r -t cd9660    /dev/cd0a     /cdrom
does not work.  ... cd9660 not found; even with CD9660 as argument.
The CDROM drive is reported correct on boot as acd0 .
I tried several combinations like:
                         mount -r -t CD9660    /dev/acd0    /cdrom
                         mount -r -t cd9660      /dev/acd0    /cdrom
but all didn't work

The drive is connected at the internal ide (RPC SA110) interface
as the slave drive. The master drive is a 3.2 GB Fireball Quantum
with the 1GB RiscBSD partition.

Any ideas ?

>> Any ideas ?

>How far through the boot does it get? past the device detection? can you
>get into single tasking mode?

Till the point where it's asked which shell you like.
I tried to exit to get the login prompt but then  lots of errors
were  reported.

>Chris Gilbert

Wolfgang Kleinert