Subject: Re: device drivers
To: Peter Berg <Peter.Berg@ww.tu-freiberg.de>
From: Mark Brinicombe <amb@physig.ph.kcl.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/21/1997 21:31:42
On Thu, 20 Feb 1997, Peter Berg wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've written a device driver skeleton and integrated this dummy driver into a
> self compiled kernel. Now the question:
>
> the device will be a on podule and ATM *no* podule is present in my rpc at
> all. Can this be the reason for that the probe and attach functions are not
> executed ?
> If I define the driver as
>
> spdif0 at mainbus?
>
> in the config file derived from the GENERIC file everything works.
> The probe and attach functions are executed and the driver is installed. When
> I try to open the new device I get the status messages they are generated by
> my driver code.
>
> But a spdif0 at podulebus? doesn't work. Why ?

Ok this is understandable with no podules installed.

The podulebus reads all the podule headers from the hardware and then
calls config_found() for each podule found.
The driver probe routine just has to validate the podule ID from the
attach args.

With not podules installed the podulebus driver will not attempt to
configure any children.

Cheers,
				Mark