Subject: Re: Installing
To: None <KLE@SWE.GPPM.DE>
From: Olly Betts <olly@muscat.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/20/1997 11:08:00
KLE@SWE.GPPM.DE wrote:
>I  want to install them on my HD from this CDROM .
>(I don't like to use Floppies :-)) . Is it possible to copy them
>from RISCOS with unixfs on the BSD partitiion ? I tried
>it yesterday,  but I got them message "permission denied"
>when trying to create the DIR "distrib" (I think this is the right
>place to store the sets in) or trying to copy the sets via drag and
>drop. Do I have to change the write permissions from RISCOS or
>from RISCBSD.

>From RiscBSD.  Use:

chmod a+w /usr/distrib

To give (A)ll write permission.  You'll need to be root to do this.

>Should I remember the permissions and reset them to
>the previous values after copying or does it not matter ?

Probably best to leave the directory world writable as it'll be useful next
time you want to copy stuff across.  It's a bit of a security hole in that
anyone with an account on your system can tamper with files in /usr/distrib,
which means ideally you should move the files somewhere else in single user
mode, before going multiuser.  This isn't a problem if you're the only user
though.  For reference, you can reset the permissions using:

chmod go-w /usr/distrib

Which removes write permission for (G)roup and (O)ther.

I can't say I'm terribly happy with this feature of UnixFS, since if you've
got access to the console, you can drop into RISC OS and munge the disk
using FileCore SWIs (or maybe even !Zap?).  All it really serves to do is
get in the way.  Still, we've had this whole argument before and there's
probably not a lot to gain by rehashing it.

Cheers,
Olly