Subject: Re: (Small) Hardware donation(s)...
To: Dr DR de Lacey <del2@cus.cam.ac.uk>
From: Amit Gupta <93akg@eng.cam.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/19/1997 10:09:32
On Wed, 19 Feb 1997, Dr DR de Lacey wrote:

> > > I have an RPC 700 with StrongARM; I take it (though it's not perfectly
> > > clear from what I've seen) that there isn't a SA RBSD yet?
> >
> > There is.
>
> Great: is this definite? When I tried to download from the RBSD site
> http://www.ph.kcl.ac.uk/~amb/riscbsd/hardware.supported.html said "ART
> SA110 CPU card Under development". Hmm, it still says that. Am I looking
> at the wrong place? If you can tell me exactly what I need I'll be very
> grateful -- despite numerous tries, I never got ARM linux to work on my
> A5K:-(

You're looking in the right place - it's just that the Web pages are now
very out-of-date and need revising (note to docs people : is anyone doing
this or shall I have a go ?). The best thing to do first is to :

- FTP to physig.ph.kcl.ac.uk (or just click on the RiscBSD FTP Site link
on the Web pages)

- go to the directory /pub/acorn/RiscBSD/docs

- download the installation guide (beta.txt)

- have a read of that

The installation guide *should* tell you everything you need to know (it
has a list of what is required near the beginning), but if it doesn't just
ask on the mailing list. I'll post a copy of the FAQ later.

If you're installing on a StrongARM, the only thing that is different is
the kernel. So when the installation guide tells you to download a kernel,
you need to make sure that you download one with StrongARM support -
again, the installation guide will (hopefully) explain all this.

BTW sorry for this abuse of the mailing list but : I'm on the lookout for
a secondhand A5000. Only requirements are that it is fully working, with 4
meg (or 8) and a hard disc. Monitor not required. Any offers please mail
me.

amit