Subject: Some more newbie questions
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Steve Hennigan <Stephen@hennign.demon.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/18/1997 23:25:14
I have been trying to install RiscBSD for a few days now and have come up
against a 'bit of a wall'.
I have got as far as step 31 of Marks RiscBSD Installation script v1.2.
I have loaded the base,text,etc,misc,config,tcsh,bash,local and man
distribution sets from the Risc Disc 3 CD to floppy and then into the
RiscBSD partition via RiscBSD itself. I dont seem to be able to get any
further and I have the following questions.

1. I have one of the CTA Direct 4x4 CD jukeboxes on my RPC600. Will the
intended ATAPI device drivers support this type of CD Drive?

2.If not, how do I go about getting the unixfs filing system working?
I have tried the standard configuration and also spent some time working
on the advice posted by Mr Thomassen the other night to no avail. The best
I can get out of this is the message:

8
Bad Disklabel

If I could only get this bit working, I could transfer the sets much more
easily than via floppy (yawn).

3.I keep hearing about the beta versions of kernels supporting ATAPI discs
but cannot seem to positively identify any of them. Some of the VOYAGER
kernels seem to report an ATAPI bus during booting but the advice in FAQ
on how to configure the drive does not seem to work. (incidentally the latest
VOYAGER kernel doesn't seem to report the ATAPI bus anymore).

As you have probably gathered, I am a complete novice at this unix lark.
We got sent on a 4 day course late last year and I am trying to find out
more about it as I may have to 'operate' it this year for real. I'm an
MVS operator by trade.

--
Steve Hennigan		Stephen@hennign.demon.co.uk
			hennigsj@arcade.demon.co.uk