Subject: Re: Garbled characters in 800x600 and above
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Peter Teichmann <sol@Space.WH1.TU-Dresden.De>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/17/1997 19:01:24
Olly Betts wrote:

> I had a go at installing "1.2-release" at the weekend.  All went fairly well,
> but there were a few low points:
<SNIP...>

> * I can't boot into 800x600 (which my monitor can certainly cope with) or
>   1024x768 (which I think works).  640x480 works OK.  What I get it the
>   higher resolution modes is the character set wrapped round about half a
>   character + random coloured garbage at the bottom of the screen.  I
>   managed to set up my partitions like this (before discovering 640x480
>   worked) so it looks like just the display is corrupted.
<SNIP...>

Of course you can boot in 800*600. Don't worry about the last 8 wrong pixels.
This is because the characters are 16 pixels high, but 600/16 is 37.5
So the last 8 pixels are not used. And as BSD doesn't worry about them,
there is shown what was last in this part of the memory (BSD doesn't copy
the content of the screen memory a line upwards, but moves a Window over
the screen memory, at least I think so) So don't worry about it.

In 1024*768 this shouldn't happen, but as RiscBSD uses its own modes and not
your MDF for the bootup screen mode, it might be that your monitor can't
cope with it (as it is with mine).

Peter Teichmann