Subject: Re: ethernet cards
To: Alex McLintock <Alex.McLintock@chadwyck.co.uk>
From: Mark Brinicombe <amb@physig.ph.kcl.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/17/1997 17:36:28
On Mon, 17 Feb 1997, Alex McLintock wrote:

> It looks like I am going for the Atomwide one.
> How do people find that works with RiscBSD? (does it, for a start? A guy at
> Atomwide said it does)

Which one is this (i.e. model)

> (Mark's  supported hardware list includes "Atomwide's Ether3 interface. Frankly
> I don't understand this naming scheme. is the A5000 combo card an Ether 3
> interface? I know I have to ask for the latest  rom set to get Strong Arm
> compatibility)

It could well be. The Ether3 is the name atomwide gave to the card i.e.
thats what the card reports on *podules and similarly the driver module is
called ether3 under RiscOS.
I frequently use a variation on the ether3 called the ether5 from atomwide
(has ether 5 on the PCB) This is a 10baseT only version.
I am not familar with atomwides combo card.

A lot of the atomwide cards use the SEEQ ethernet controllers for which we
do have drivers, however on a combo card you unless it has autosensing you
may only be able to use the interface that was in use under RISCOS i.e.
not be able to switch between 10baseT and 10base2 under RiscBSD as atm
there is not support for changing the media interface while running.

What would be useful would be to put a comprehensive list of available
ethernet cards together with all the variations of them as well so we can
then determine exactly whcih ones are supported.

CHeers,
				Mark