Subject: Re: Rapide probs
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Robert Black <r.black@ic.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/17/1997 11:27:23
On Feb 14,  7:04pm, Chris Gilbert wrote:
> Subject: Re: Rapide probs
>
> On Fri, 14 Feb 1997 JString@aol.com wrote:
>
> > Having moved my Conner 420Mb over to the Rapide, I'm having problem booting
> > BSD. (the CFS420 is the master drive, with a Fireball set as slave) The
> > kernel I'm running is the last one from the FTP site samed sa110....
>
> is BSD on the conner or the fireball?
>
> > The Unix partition uses the last 350Mb of the disc. I changed the devices
in
> > the !BTRiscBSD app config window to WD1a & WD1b (cheers for the info
Chris!)
> > When I attempt to boot, things seem to be going fine until filesystem type
> > things start happening, at which point I get :
> >
> > panic: cannot mount root
> > stopped at 0xf.... blah blah
>
> Perhaps you've got the wrong drive number, I assumed, wrongly, that you'd
> make the riscbsd disc the slave, this numbers it as wd1 if it is infact
> the master you need it as wd0 (I just added mine as a slave), mainly
> because it saved having to alter boot configuration.
>
> > As well as this, I can't seem to get unixfs to mount it either.
> > Am I right in saying that you can't have a RiscBSD Partition that occupies
> > the whole of a disc? I know I've read it somewhere, but I don't know if
this
> > is out of date.
> > Ideally, I'd like to be able to salvage some of the info on the drive, and
> > redo the Conner as 100% RiscBSD.
>
> Unixfs won't mount it without the right number (which I can't remember)
> how much of the disc is already RiscBSD? I think you can make the whole
> disc BSD, but am not sure how, I prefer having the disc with a small adfs
> partition, allows me to keep the booter on the same disc.  It also means
> that I could put it in anyone elses RPC if they wanted to see RiscBSD.
> You can't use unixfs with a complete riscbsd disc either.

You can indeed make the entire disk RiscBSD. The way you do this is by
destroying the RiscOS bootblock (boot RiscBSD and dd from /dev/zero over the
bootblock). Reboot RiscBSD (to pick up the new RiscOS offset) and then write a
new label to the disk. IIRC you can't use UnixFS on such disks and you will get
spurious error messages about not being able to find the RiscOS boot block.

I have no idea about RapIDE so I can't help there I'm afraid.

Cheers

Rob