Subject: Re: Rapide probs
To: Jasper Wallace <jasper@ivision.co.uk>
From: Chris Gilbert <cg110@york.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/14/1997 20:15:03
On Fri, 14 Feb 1997, Jasper Wallace wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Feb 1997 JString@aol.com wrote:
>
> are you sure these are the correct devices? whenthe kernel boots in the
> messages it prints whilst probing the hardware do you get something like:
> Rapide at mainus ride0
> rided0 at ride0
> ride1 at ride0
> etc... (I don't have a Rapide so I'v no idea what the boot messages would
> look like)

wdc1 at mainbus0
wd0 at wdc1
wd1 at wdc1

Is what I get (before anyone panics ;) note that any devices on wdc0 (the
internal ide) will get numbered before the rapide ones. it could be
possible to have 6 ide drives connected up...

> In this case you should be using  rided0a (or what ever your kernel prints)
> as the root device, wd1a and b is the second internel harddisc - though the
> capitilisation may make a difference..
>
> > panic: cannot mount root
> > stopped at 0xf.... blah blah
>
> it can't find the root device...

(wrong device I think...)

> > As well as this, I can't seem to get unixfs to mount it either.
>
> do you know how to specify the junk after unixfs mount? it in a faq
> somewhere...

It's in Unixfs now I think about it, try help unixfs.

> P.S. when you do get it to boot on the rapide your /etc/fstab will probably
> be out of date you'll have to change the /dev/wdNe etc over to whatever the
> rapide is.

Yes, I think I suggested that a while back (however I assumed that the
riscbsd disk would be the slave, wd1, not master, wd0, when I gave advice
on altering fstab before moving the disc)

Perhaps this should be an FAQ, I'm sure it'll crop up a few times:
How do I move a disc from the internal IDE to my new RapIDE card?

> P.P.S. Just remembered there's been a change to the booting code of netbsd
> in general that means root devices are specified at compile time - since
> generic kernels try to boot from wd0... (this may be inaccurate, but
> something like this has happened recently...)

Not root device, the swap device.  The swap partition is now expected to
be on the same disk as the root partition booted from.  Previously it was
specified from the boot program.

If I've got time this weekend would anyone be interested in a new boot
program that supported the new md (memory disk) and ignored the swap
drive specified?  (shouldn't be that hard all the source is there)

Cheers,
Chris Gilbert

PS anyone know if the RapIDE card source is in the netbsd kernel source
tree?