Subject: Re: ...Another prat can't install
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ian Fry <ian@asl.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/13/1997 07:40:46
In a previous message Adrian Gilby wrote:

*** Stuff snipped ***

> I then halted, because I wanted to check that everything was okay on the
> ROS front. On rebooting RiscBSD, I found that the entire contents of /usr
> had disappeared!

You've probably only rebooted into single user mode - if RiscBSD starts up in
single user mode, only the root filesystem is available (and that only
read-only), when the system enters multi-user mode, all other filesystems that
is knows about are mounted, and the root filesystem is re-mounted read-write.
I think (I'm not sure about this, as I don't actually use RiscBSD at the
moment) there is an option in the bootloader which says whether to boot single
or multi user.

> Do I actually need the kernel sets if I'm booting using the !BtRiscBSD
> application and specifying a kernel sitting on my ADFS partition?

Yes, so of the UNIX utilities like ps use the kernel image to read system
information, also you must make sure the version of the kernel on the RiscBSD
filesystem is the same one you boot from with the bootloader.

> Should I be installing these sets in single user mode? Is it possible
> that I'm so "powerful" that I'm deleting important stuff by accident?
>
> HOW DO I MAKE USERS? Or, perhaps more impoirtantly, what's a good book to
> read to get a working knowledge of how to install and maintain a UNIX system?

Again, I'm not completely sure about this, but I believe you use rcm.

> TTFN
> Adrian
> a.gilby@ic.ac.uk

Ian.
--
Ian Fry.				Email:	ian@asl.com
Internet Administrator,			Phone:	0117 9015000