Subject: Re: ...Another prat can't install
To: Adrian Gilby <a.gilby@ic.ac.uk>
From: Ale Terlevich <A.I.Terlevich@durham.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/12/1997 16:55:29
On Wed, 12 Feb 1997, Adrian Gilby wrote:
> I then halted, because I wanted to check that everything was okay on the
> ROS front. On rebooting RiscBSD, I found that the entire contents of /usr
> had disappeared!

  Are you sure you're booting it multiuser?

A UNIX machine needs to be run in multiuser mode. Single user mode is
just for maintenance (I.e. the mode you go into after loading the ram
disk is single user mode)

When you boot single user, it just mounts your root partition read only,
then when you go multiuser, you get all of your filesystems mounted (i.e.
/usr)

  Make sure that the single user button in the boot loader is not pressed!

  Two things to check.

 What's the output of mount?
Does it say you're /usr partition is mounted?

 When the machine finished booting, Does it ask for a login, or just for a
shell. If the latter, type exit to go multiuser (all being well).

Ale.