Subject: Re: ...Another prat can't install
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Adrian Gilby <a.gilby@ic.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/12/1997 16:39:55
Hi, I'm having problems installing RiscBSD.

I'm using the latest SA-xxx kernel (downloaded a few days ago), and the
latest bootloader. I have a Risc PC700 with Cumana SCSI 2 interface, SA and
a Conner 850Mb hard disc which I'm attempting to install RiscBSD onto.
This is partitioned into 50Mb for ADFS and the rest for RiscBSD. OS is
ROS3.7.

When following the installation instructions, everything goes fine up
until the point I try to actually install any sets. The first time I
tried to install sets, I booted using the root floppy via the memorydisk,
installed RiscBSD, then halted to check how much space I had, rebooted, and
then copied the sets to /usr/distrib using the /usr/sbin/local/inst program.
I then used this program to install "all" my sets, which were:

misc
etc
base
cdtools
x11base
x11fonts
gs262fonts
gs262
gview

I then halted, because I wanted to check that everything was okay on the
ROS front. On rebooting RiscBSD, I found that the entire contents of /usr
had disappeared!

Then next time I was more careful. I only installed misc, etc and base,
in that order. But upon reboot, exactly the same thing happened.

I have a few questions:

Is the order in which you install sets important? When installing, it'll
say that etc needs misc installed, base needs etc and misc installed etc.
Should I therefore install misc first, then etc, then base etc or does it
not matter?

Do I actually need the kernel sets if I'm booting using the !BtRiscBSD
application and specifying a kernel sitting on my ADFS partition?

Should I be installing these sets in single user mode? Is it possible
that I'm so "powerful" that I'm deleting important stuff by accident?

HOW DO I MAKE USERS? Or, perhaps more impoirtantly, what's a good book to
read to get a working knowledge of how to install and maintain a UNIX system?

Sorry for the long message, but I really want to get this working.

TTFN
Adrian
a.gilby@ic.ac.uk