Subject: Re:hard drive buyers guide
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <KLE@SWE.GPPM.DE>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/10/1997 10:23:31
System: RPC, SA, 21MB, CDROM FX800/810, Acorn SCSI I Version 1,
DEC 3053 SCSI 535 MB, RiscOS 3.7

Hi Olly, hi others there,

yesterday I tried out a IDE  Quantum Fireball 3.8GB as a temporary backup
for my 3.2 GB Fireball because I wanted to partition my 3.2 GB drive for
RiscBSD (1GB) and RiscOS (2 GB). I selected all files and dirs in the
root and transferred them with drag and drop to the initialized 3.8 GB.
First all worked fine then after Megs of copied data the computer hanged !!
What went wrong ? I tried again and the same result. After hours of
work and deleting the bad files on my 3.2 GB I succeeded with
backing up. All data copied ... I thought :-((. I checked the map
with checkmap  and oh god, my RPC hanged. Then I found the reason !
Many files in the !libgpp.h and other dirs weren't copied correct ! They were not
accessible but only for reading and what I saw when I had a look on these
files was terrible. It looked like the raw contents of my harddisc (
@asd3)NICK...) . It wasn't possible to delete these files or the
parent dir. I renamed the parent dir and tried to copy again. The
same bad result but when copying each file separately all went well. Is
this a bug in the new filecore or a SA problem?
 (I think Marc Theisen had a similar prob with copying unixfs<=>adfs)
Then I reinitialised the 3.8 GB new but only with a size of 1.6 GB.
I started backing up again and ,wondering, all went well.

Now a list of devices and DRAM which worked and which not:

=> A 3.2 GB Quantum Fireball IDE    DOES  work well in my system.
=> A IDE  CDROM FX 800/810 8x Speed DOES  work well in my system.

=> A 3.8 GB Quantum Fireball IDE    DOES NOT   work well in my system !
      But it does work when making large partitions.
=> A CDROM Sony CDU55 S (SCSI II) with Acorn SCSI 1 Version 1 card
      DOES NOT work in my system !
=> EDO Memory (16MB 60ns) DOES NOT work correctly in my system. RPC thinks
      it's a 8 MB.

Wolfgang