Subject: Re: Newbie questions
From: Miles Sabin <miles@mistral.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/09/1997 13:31:54
Hi Ben,

Thanks for the info.

> > 1.  After installing the kernel as /netbsd and booting native, ps
> >     gives sensible results, but vmstat gives me,
> >
> >       vmstat: undefined symbols: _dk_ndrive _dk_xfer
>
> You will need to install the patch sets, patch12-*.* - I think patch12-3
> fixes this.

That did the trick. Well patch12-1 and patch12-2 did ... installing
patch12-3 broke vmstat again, so I reinstalled patch12-2 and
everything seems to be OK now.

> > 3.  After starting X, whenever I run xmh I get,
> >
> >       Error: Cannot perform realloc
> >
> >     Is this a genuine lack of resources, or some other problem?
>
> I get this too - I have tried using unlimit as well to try and solve it,
> but can't seem to get xmh to run.  I use pine anyway, so not really a
> problem.

Silly question, but where are the man pages for unlimit? I get a blank
for unlimit, and limit gives me the csh page.

> > 5.  The only way I could figure out to create a user who could su to
> >     root was to give it a uid of 'root', as well as a gid of 'wheel'.
> >     Trouble is, I have a sneaking suspicion that logging in as this
> >     user is just as dangerous as logging in as root. Is that right? If
> >     so, what's the right way of creating a user that can su root?
>
> You need to modify /etc/group, for example:
>
> wheel:*:root,ben
>
> allows me to su to root, and no one else.

Thanks again ... tho' I spent ages trying to work out why X wouldn't
startup for that user until I spotted the FAQ on chown'ing and
chmod'ing Xarm ;-)

> > 9.  Can anyone give me advice on setting up xdm?
>
> Yep.  You need to look in /usr/X11/lib/X11/xdm and read the manual
> page on xdm (its quite good as manual pages go).  I edited Xsession
> to basically run the users .xinitrc file and not use the X session
> manager. Then in .xinitrc I load a few xterms etc. and run fvwm as
> the last thing. Works a treat.

Err ... dumb question, but where do you invoke xdm from? From /etc/rc?
I can't really be bothered with xdm if I have to login (as root, say)
before xdm starts and lets me login properly.

Cheers,

Miles

--
Miles Sabin                               mailto:miles@mistral.co.uk
Cathexis                                  voice  01273 732338