Subject: Re: MACH?
To: Jay Kistler <jjk@pa.dec.com>
From: Christian Kuhtz <chk@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/07/1997 15:46:00
Jay,

Sorry, but to me the VM system and ddb are tiny parts of Mach and has not a
whole lot to do with the Mach way of doing business, which has a radically
different philosophy on the backend, reflected in its kernel architecture and
the single- and multi-server architectures.

Mach mk's are a quite different architecture, much more than just a different
VM system and debugger.  It would help if you look at BSD4.4 from a Mach mk
perspective to see what Mach mk's allow you to do that BSD4.4 doesn't, and not
just look at it the other way round.  I'm not saying that BSD4.4 is bad code
by any stretch of the imagination.  However, the are differences in design and
application which are quite significant and go far beyond things like VM and
debugger.

Suggested reading on that can be found at CMU's Mach home, Open Group (OSF)
and U of Utah's Mach4.  There are things in Mach mk based OS's that are simply
not possible (unless you would like to revamp a large portion of the kernel
architecture) with the current kernel engineering in BSD4.4.

That, and my personal work on Mach mk and server implementations over the
years, makes me stand firmly by my statement. Therefore,  I reject your
assertion of my remark being "plain wrong".

Best regards,
Chris

--
Christian Kuhtz <chk@gnu.ai.mit.edu>