Subject: Re: System time
To: Boris Boesler <s_boesle@ira.uka.de>
From: Ale Terlevich <A.I.Terlevich@durham.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/05/1997 11:12:12
On Wed, 5 Feb 1997, Boris Boesler wrote:

> Hi!
>
>  While compiling some stuff xosview shows that most time is spent within
> the system (kernel?) und not within the user program. Is this caused by
> the absence of interrupts for my Connect32 SCSI card? Or is there another
> reason for this behavior?

  Do you use a SA?

Since putting mine in, I've noticed that mkdepend (for kernel building)
causes the machine to use about 95% system time, according to top. It
also informs me that mkdepend is actually only getting about 4%!

  I suspect this is related to the problem whereby programs that don't
use the kernel (e.g. dhrystone) zoon along, but benchmarks such as
Execl and  Pipe based context switching are actually faster on my 20MHz
386SX laptop! (linux).

   Hopefully this will improve, though I don't know what's causing it.

Ale.