Subject: Re: Using unixfs to transfer sets, extracts from new instatllation
To: Marc Theisen <arcmt@mailhost.uni-koblenz.de>
From: Chris Gilbert <cg110@york.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/04/1997 19:06:47
On Mon, 3 Feb 1997, Marc Theisen wrote:

> Over the weekend I noticed that copying files from ADFS to unixfs
> worked, but not vice versa! The problem was, that copying the files in
> "single mode" i.e.  dragging the files seperately from the unixfs filer
> to the ADFS filer worked.  But when I dragged a group of files (e.g. the
> whole base set) to the ADFS filer window, everthing seemed to work well,
> but then...

Ahh, yes it's a bug, the file length is still the same but at approx the
same point in every file it alters 2 chars to some pattern, it's
noticeable I wrote a program to count this pattern and it does increase
from an original to a copied over one.

> ... running the inst script I decided to verify the sets and oh my God,
> only base.00, base.04, base.08 and base.12 were verified ok.

I lost all but the .00 ones...

> So I did a reboot and wrote a simple utility to compare two files...
> Then I copied some other files from the distrib directory seperately and
> oh wonder, they were ok!

Yes on there own they're fine the problem occurs in the 2nd and subsequent
files.

> Does anybody have an idea? Is the unixfs module a bit buggy?

I think this is a known bug, if it's not I can dig out the progs I did to
look at the files, it always occurs at the same point as well IRC

just copy files one at a time out of unixfs and you're safe.

Hope this helps,

Chris Gilbert