Subject: Re: L1 page tables
To: JAI Holtom <ph3057@bristol.ac.uk>
From: Ben Strawson <B.Strawson@cs.ucl.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/04/1997 17:10:28
On Tue, 4 Feb 1997, JAI Holtom wrote:

> > When I try to start X with the fvwm X crashes with messages like
> >
> >  Warning: deadlocks due to lack of Level 1 page tables
> >
> > What does that mean? Isn't 16MB DRAM and 1MB VRAM enough to run X?
>
> I am getting exactly the same with 40Mb DRAM and 1Mb VRAM
>
> I do not recall seeing it prior to upgrading to StrongARM, so I wonder if
> it is the SA kernel at fault

No - its just the L1 page table field as explained in other messages to
this list.

> (Yes I am using a very early SA kernel (4781 I think) which I must upgrade
> ASAP)

Indeed.

> On a related note O and shift-O have crashed vi, and Perl has been
> dropping coredumps with code which runs quite happily on RiscOS side, and
> on an SG box.

The solution to vi is to install patch set 2 from the sets directory on
the ftp server (patch12-2.*).  However, I am getting the same behaviour
with perl core
dumping on code - it happened when I tried to use a associated array, and
I have all the patch sets from 1-3 installed.

On another note, xosview has stopped working with the latest kernels -
I guess it just needs a recompile, like ps, systat etc. needed.

Ben.

Ben Strawson                                            b.strawson@cs.ucl.ac.uk
Department of Computer Science
University College London           http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/students/b.strawson