Subject: Re: Installing distribution sets
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Robert Black <r.black@ic.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/03/1997 12:18:21
On Feb 1,  5:25pm, Paul Clifford wrote:
> Subject: Installing distribution sets
> I've followed the RiscBSD installation steps in 'RiscBSD.Install' up
> to the end of step 20 and got to the stage where I can install the
> distribution sets. I've got all the sets on the Risc Disc 3, but so
> far all my efforts to make them visible to RiscBSD have failed. Am I
> right in thinking that I can copy the sets into my partition and
> install them from there? If so, how can I set up a directory so that I
> can copy things into it with UnixFS? My CD drive (the cheap Cumana one
> supplied with early Risc PCs) does not appear to be recognised by
> RiscBSD, and the only other alternative seems to be to use floppy
> discs which I'd rather avoid if possible.

Assuming that the Risc Disc 3 uses the standard installer, what you need to do
is set up a world writeable directory using 'chmod a+rwx <directory>'. I
suggest you do it to /usr/distrib. Then go back to RiscOS and look inside the
booter application. In a sub-directory there are a lot of obey scripts and a
unixfs module. Run the scripts to open various partitions. If there isn't a
script for the partition you need to open you will need to modify one of the
existing scripts. If that is the case you'd better come back and ask how to do
it (and hope someone who can remember the numbering system will respond). After
you have copied the sets across run inst and set the sets directory to
/usr/distrib.

> My knowledge of Unix does not extend much beyond using cd and ls to
> navigate through directories - I'm installing RiscBSD to try and learn
> a bit more about it - so any help would be much appreciated!

Best of luck.

Rob Black