Subject: Re: Some questions
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Markus Baeurle <emw4maba@gp.fht-esslingen.de>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/02/1997 16:45:53
Hi Marc.

In message <199701211522.QAA19724@informatik.uni-koblenz.de>
          Marc Theisen <arcmt@mailhost.uni-koblenz.de> wrote:

> I decided to install RiscBSD after looking at a demonstration
> of RiscBSD on a CD named "GAGCD1" which is available in Germany
> containing both ARMLinux and RiscBSD (latest Kernel 44xx (?),
> around 160MB).

> - I don't want to exchange the SA with my old ARM610, is it
>   possible to install RiscBSD with a uploaded kernel from
>   ftp? Are there kernels that work with my CDROM (Mitsumi 8x) AND
>   SA?

Don't know about the CDROM drive, there were kernels supporting ATAPI but I
think the latest ones don't.

In theory it is possible but there are major drawbacks if you are using the GAG
CD because they screwed the stuff up quite a bit.
You can't install directly from CD as everything is inside tarfiles, has
truncated names and so on ie. you need to copy everything to harddisk and
rename it which is a very time-consuming and painful job.

Even worse, it only contains the outdated version 1.1-beta and not the current
1.2 release. And even that needs updates all over the place due to recent
changes to the NetBSD development tree now.
I'd recommend you to rather get hold of 1.2-release. Isn't ExGRA in your
region? They are promoting RiscBSD, maybe they can help you.
I'm also offering a CD with RiscBSD on it, but I think you rather don't want to
spend another 50 DM for a CD to get hold of RiscBSD after buying the GAG CD.

MfG MB