Subject: Re: Networking over serial line
To: Rik Griffin <riscbsd@cheesey.demon.co.uk>
From: Mike Pumford <mpumford@mpc-data.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 01/30/1997 13:51:15
On Tue, 28 Jan 1997, Rik Griffin wrote:

> Could some kind sould explain for me (in small words) how to set up a
> 2 machine network between a RiscBSD box and a linux box, using a serial
> cable.
OK. I think the simplest wat is to use PPP if both machines support it as
it only requires 1 command on each system and a null modem cable:

On the RiscBSD box type the following command

/usr/sbin/pppd 19200 /dev/tty00 local_ip:remote_ip asyncmap 0 passive

then on the Linux box

/usr/sbin/pppd 19200 /dev/cua0 asyncmap 0

where local_ip is the ip address for the RiscBSD box and remote_ip is the
address of the Linux box and 19200 is the speed of the serial link. NB
RiscBSD may not work correctly at 9600bps.

The 2 machines should then negotiate a connection in a few seconds. This
can be checked with ifconfig -a to list all active connections.

If they have no IP address just make one up.
These commands assume that the Linux machine is connected using COM1, for
COM2 use /dev/cua1 in place of /dev/cua0.

See the manual page on pppd for the meaning of the options.

Mike