Subject: Re: sorry for this "FAQ-question"
To: Ale Terlevich <A.I.Terlevich@durham.ac.uk>
From: Scott Stevens <s.k.stevens@ic.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 01/29/1997 11:51:18
Ale Terlevich writes:
 >   Is it not possible to put the RBSD partition first on the HD, and the
 > Acorn one second?
 >
 >   Well, Obviously it *is* possible, but is is advisable?

Actually I don't think it is. NetBSD/arm32 (and UnixFS) search for the
filecore boot block at the beginning of the disk, and use that to find
the NetBSD portion of the disk. If you put them the other way round
the the filecore bootblock will be somewhere in the middle of the disk
(how would you inform RiscOS this ?). NetBSD should work (it won't
find a filecore boot block and will look for its disklabel at the
start of the disk), but UnixFS will fail (shouldn't really but it
does, as it won't be able to find a fcbb and so won't be able to
access the disk). In the long term I plan to construct a temporary
fake fcbb to get the disklabel and use the values in that to construct
a valid fcbb to describe the disk).

 > Ale.

Cheers Scott

--
Scott Stevens, Network Services Group, Computer Centre, Imperial College
"Rimmer, we don't speak Japanese, we don't speak mandarin, and we don't