Subject: Re: Install problems
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Robert Black <r.black@ic.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 01/29/1997 11:20:33
On Jan 29, 10:36am, <KLE@SWE.GPPM.DE> wrote:
> Subject: Install problems
>

> Hi there,
>
> I am a new RiscBSD user (want to be) and have
> lots of problems installing RiscBSD on my RPC
> with SA110.
> First I reinitialised my old 210Meg Ide disc
> (I know it's to small but it's only for testing)
> and partitioned it to ADFS 20Meg and the rest for
> RiscBSD. I started bb_riscbsd and ... ok.
> After this I created the RiscBSD directory and
> extracted the kernel sa110-4922 into it.
> Then I created the boot floppy as described in the
> installation instructions.
> I started !BtRiscBSD.
> Then I started to boot.
> The screen turned to black and lots of information appeared
> (Copyright message, Available RAM, available Hardrives ...)
> But then after nearly two pages of information , RiscBSD booting
> stopped with the message
>
> panic cannot mount root
> db>

I have a horrible feeling that you hit a bug caused by the renaming of the
ramdisk to memorydisk. You have three choices:

1) (not recommended) You can manually change the options on the bootloader as
per Mark Brinicombe's email of last night.

2) You can wait for Mark to put a new kernel/bootloader online and then use the
device md0 instead of rd0 as the root device.

3) You can download an old sa kernel and use that as advertised.

> I tried several combinations of root devices and swap devices
> in the !BtRiscBSD application. But the result was always the same.
> Only the message changed sometimes to

> no disc label
> no swap device
> panic no root device configured
> db>
>
> Any ideas ?
>
> How can I label discs ?

To label discs you need to boot off floppy/ramdisk. You will know when this is
working correctly because part way through bootup it will start reading the
floppy and tell you what percentage has been copied to ramdisk.

> How must I configure !BtRiscBSD application
> to boot RiscBSD correct ?

To boot initially (before you have labelled the drive) set the boot device to
either rd0 or md0 (depending on which kernel you have) and the ramdisk size to
1440K.

> If booting from ramdisc, do I have to configure
> a ramdisc under RiscOS ?

No. The first thing RiscBSD does when it boots is to throw away RiscOS.

Cheers

Rob Black