Subject: Re: Install problems
To: None <KLE@SWE.GPPM.DE>
From: Ale Terlevich <A.I.Terlevich@durham.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 01/29/1997 10:55:52
On Wed, 29 Jan 1997 KLE@SWE.GPPM.DE wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I am a new RiscBSD user (want to be) and have
> lots of problems installing RiscBSD on my RPC
> with SA110.
> First I reinitialised my old 210Meg Ide disc
> (I know it's to small but it's only for testing)
> and partitioned it to ADFS 20Meg and the rest for
> RiscBSD. I started bb_riscbsd and ... ok.
> After this I created the RiscBSD directory and
> extracted the kernel sa110-4922 into it.
> Then I created the boot floppy as described in the
> installation instructions.
> I started !BtRiscBSD.
> Then I started to boot.
> The screen turned to black and lots of information appeared
> (Copyright message, Available RAM, available Hardrives ...)
> But then after nearly two pages of information , RiscBSD booting
> stopped with the message
>
> panic cannot mount root
> db>

  You may be having problems with the ramdisk. It has recently been
renamed to memory disk in NetBSD and the RiscOS bootloader doesn't know
this yet.

  Try setting yout root device to /dev/md0a and adding the extra option
memory disk=1440k
to the extra options field of the booter app.

  Alternatively, mark is putting a new version of the bootloader on the
FTP site "ASAP" (See his earlier post) so you could wait for that.

  As for the swap space, It won't find that until after you boot RiscBSD
properly off the HD (After finishing installation)

Ale.