Subject: Re: Hanging
To: Jonathan Hunt <csuwg@csv.warwick.ac.uk>
From: Chris Gilbert <cg110@york.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 01/28/1997 13:37:12
On Tue, 28 Jan 1997, Jonathan Hunt wrote:

> > The RapIDE support makes a incredible difference to the performance!
> > However I have noticed that the kernel sometimes hangs on booting a exiting.
>
> I've noticed that now my machine sometimes locks up on a halt.
> After you've pressed control-D and it says running shutdown hooks
> 5 . . 4 . . 3 . . 2 . . 1 . . it then stops instead of rebooting
> the machine.  I'm using a SA kernel but NOT one of the new RapIDE
> ones. (It's the latest one BEFORE the RapIDE introduction -
> not sure of the number atm)
>
> Anyone else had this problem/know what causes it?

Yes it occurs randomly in all the kernels I think someone said it's
something to do with the keyboard.  (It only occurs in the new kernels
with things attached to the io chip).  Basically the keyboard doesn't
respond in time, and the kernel sets a timer on it waiting for a response.
Which appears to be it hanging.

Chris Gilbert