Subject: 2nd serial port (was: Re. Slightly confused)
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: R.L. Carper <Rogier.Carper@hio.hen.nl>
List: port-arm32
Date: 01/26/1997 13:43:21
> > Oh no! Does this mean there's no way to get the second port working under
> > RiscBSD? Does anybody know if RiscOS needs the interrupt? (I guess so.)
> > I always wanted to try to fit the missing hardware to use this port.

> Looking at the circuit diagram in the TRM the IRQ3 line is not wired to
> anything. From what I can see from the SMC 37GT665 data sheetsyou cannot
> reconfigure the combo chip to generate the second serial port interrupts
> on the first serial port interrupt line (irq4).
> I don't know if it is possible to wire or the two interrupt lines out of
> the 655 but if you could that would mean that you could generate both
> interrupts on the single irq line to the IOMD.

If you wire-OR the two lines, the serial driver must look at both serial status
registers to see which port requires help. I have a small utility (in RMA) to
check all registers in the combo device.

I have sample MAXIM serial tranceiver chip which I'm planning to solder to the
SMC665.

If this dosn't work out, the serial port will still work regardless of the
wired-OR IRQ line

> Has anyone tried utilising the second serial port before ?

No, but in theory this would work. If anyone here has access to the RISCOS
serialdriver source, or the NetBSD driver (source), I'd like to have a copy.

Regards,
Rogier Carper				email: Rogier.Carper@hio.hen.nl
Student of Computer Engineering
Institute of Information & Communication Technology
Enschede Polytechnic, The Netherlands