Subject: Re: csc.o file
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Markus Baeurle <emw4maba@gp.fht-esslingen.de>
List: port-arm32
Date: 01/25/1997 23:38:03
Hi Mark!

In message <Pine.SGI.3.95.970120031251.16009H-100000@physig4.ph.kcl.ac.uk>
          Mark Brinicombe <amb@physig.ph.kcl.ac.uk> wrote:

>   Ok there is a new csc.o file (csc-200197.o) online in the usual place
> that should detect all the devices on the cumama scsi card.

Thanks for providing this, the devices are detected OK again now.
OK so I finally have a recent working kernel.

The ibuf overflows are gone now as expected but I have some silo overflows now.

I'm not sure about the floppy corruptions but they must have improved a lot at
least. I copied two kernels to different floppies and both could be read back
under RiscOS without problems. I'd never have managed that before but I won't
say yet that this problem is gone now, I want to do more testing before.
I still get some soft errors (re-enabled them in ...arm32/mainbus/fd.c): "fd0a:
soft error reading [or writing] fsbn 864 of 864-867" and the like.
What is a soft error anyway?

I also did some benchmarking of the harddisk performance with bonnie.
It did not improve speedwise (still creeping around at 110-120 kB/s, but with a
10 MB file on an almost full disk) but the CPU usage has dropped from 90-99% to
4-5% for block and 15-16% for char accesses and 6% for seeking now that
interrupts are working.
I have not had any disk related problems (apart from the usual vnode corruption
problem) although I did a lot of compiling (kernel and ghostscript 4.02) with
this kernel.

Very bad news at the end: There... erm... Something has changed about the
printing problem. The kernel is now locking solid when I try to print.
The flashing cursor goes steady, console switching, CTRL-Esc, nothing is
working any more.
With "cat newpatches > /dev/lpt0" the text was spooled to the printer before
the machine hung, so it was printed OK.
With "lpr newpatches" the printer was woken up (started to clean its nozzles as
the Epson Stylus Color II does constantly) but didn't start to print. Odd.

Thanks for the good work, this is a noticable improvement.

Happy Markus