Subject: Re: About to install it...
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Markus Baeurle <emw4maba@gp.fht-esslingen.de>
List: port-arm32
Date: 01/25/1997 23:52:18
Hello Adrian.

In message <Pine.SUN.3.91.970120133542.17442C-100000@bccmsa>
          The one and only Adrian! <a.gilby@ic.ac.uk> wrote:

> Can it be installed on SCSI discs yet? I've got a 500Mb partition on a

That's been possible for a long time, it will only be quite slow.

> SCSI disc running through a Cumana SCSI 2 DMA interface. I could install
> it on my standard IDE disc, but it'd be a complete pain to reformat it etc.

We have the hope that the problems with DMA will be fixed soon which will give
acceptable performance.
If you ask me install to the SCSI disk and keep whining about the bad
performance, this might speed things up. ;-)

> Furthermore, has anyone got NEC CDROM drives working with RiscBSD? I have
> a SCSI NEC CDROM connected to my machine, but it requires a special
> softloaded module to get it working, which was written by Castle
> Technology. Because of this I suspect that it won't work if you have the
> relavant CDFS modules but no support module. Can anyone tell me any
> differently?

I'm using the generic "CDFSSoftSCSI2" module which was written by Matthias
Seifert and is sold by a German dealer. This works fine with every SCSI CDROM,
even the NEC Multispin 3Xi I once tried. I don't understand anyway why there
are manufacturer-specific modules. I mean there's a SCSI standard which also
covers CDROMs and is followed by the manufacturers.

> TTFN
> Adrian
> a.gilby@ic.ac.uk

Yuck, don't you know Messenger? It's much better and has very good support for
mailinglists.

Markus
---
No Windows, no cry.