Subject: Re: Some general questions (xdm)
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Markus Baeurle <emw4maba@gp.fht-esslingen.de>
List: port-arm32
Date: 01/25/1997 19:42:45
In message <18a55d4947@mbox.vol.it>
          Sergio Monesi <msergio@mbox.vol.it> wrote:

> I'd like to compile my own kernel but I still haven't understood how to get
> the latest kernel sources (considering that my RiscBSD machine is never
> connected with Internet) without getting *all* the NetBSD stuff for other
> platforms as well (which will make the archive a bit difficult to transfer
> via floppy!).

Use sup on the machine with which you are getting the stuff over the net if
possible. Otherwise you'd have to get tar files and remove the unneeded stuff
as Wolfgang already said. There are tar files available on the sup servers
which only contain the updates so they're rather small.
OK, use sup to get the releases ksrc-arm32 and ksrc-common (and probably a few
more, there's an (outdated) Readme somewhere on the sup servers). These
releases will only contain the arm32 and machine independant stuff.
This will still exceed what fits on a single floppy though when fetched for the
first time.
When running sup it only fetches the files that were changed (and will list
them when run with -v) and you can just copy them to floppy instead of the
whole stuff.

You were also reporting several problems getting a kernel compiled in a
different message.
Some of them have been fixed by Mark in the meantime and the rest get away if
you use new versions of config and make as Ale and I pointed out.
There's a mailing-list called source-changes on netbsd.org where all the
changes to the NetBSD source tree are listed.

Running sup on a FreeBSD machine should be no problem, there's a precompiled package for that I'm sure.
There are example sup files that come with it or can be found on the sup servers for NetBSD. There's also a man page for sup, naturally.

Hope this helps, Markus