Subject: Re: Some questions
To: Marc Theisen <arcmt@mailhost.uni-koblenz.de>
From: Chris Gilbert <cg110@york.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 01/21/1997 21:57:53
On Tue, 21 Jan 1997, Marc Theisen wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I decided to install RiscBSD after looking at a demonstration
> of RiscBSD on a CD named "GAGCD1" which is available in Germany
> containing both ARMLinux and RiscBSD (latest Kernel 44xx (?),
> around 160MB).
>
> Before going on, two questions:
>
> - I need a new HD (IDE), which one do you recommend?
>   It should have a capacity of ~2GB and should be 3.5"

I've got a quantum fireball in my system, I think there's a 2.1 version of
it.

> - I don't want to exchange the SA with my old ARM610, is it
>   possible to install RiscBSD with a uploaded kernel from
>   ftp? Are there kernels that work with my CDROM (Mitsumi 8x) AND
>   SA?

If the CDROM is Atapi it should work.  If it doesn't you can use a utility
called UnixFS to transfer the files you need onto the drive.

You can use any kernel for the SA that starts SA110- eg SA110-4871 you
need to un gzip it first though, so you need to use sparkfs or gzip (not
sure if gzip works on SA though)

Hope this helps

Chris Gilbert