Subject: Re: time probs
To: Ale Terlevich <A.I.Terlevich@durham.ac.uk>
From: Mark P Hoyle <markho@dcs.rhbnc.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 01/20/1997 20:06:49
On Mon, 20 Jan 1997, Ale Terlevich wrote:

>   Hi.
>
>  I seem to be ahving problems with my real time clock
>
>   Every now and again it sets the year to 2000.
> (Day number, month and time stay correct)
>
>   What's going on?
>
>   I think it's doing it on reboots/halts. Although not always.
> (I have timed_flags=NO in /etc/netstart)
>
>   I've had to reset it a few times now. The computer stays switched on
> during these reboots, and it is the CMOS clock being changed as RiscOS
> thinks it's 2000 too.
>
>   Anyone else get this?  Is it something obvious?

I have also got exactly this problem the date (at the moment I am using
ntpdate in my startup sequence to reset it - and xntpd to keep it
correct) ever since I started using a new kernel I compiled on the 6 or
7th January. I managed to compile new versions of kvm_mkdb, libkvm.a, ps,
w and systat but they would still not work.

Jasper Wallace very kindly sent me new versions of w, ps, systat and
libkvm.a which all worked, until I started using a kernel I compiled
yesterday. Now netstat gives 'netstat: kvm_read: Bad address' errors, ps
will not work with the u option, gives floating point exception errors,
and I am still trying to recompile the binaries but to no avail.

The source code I am using is the complete sup-ed source from
wipux2.wifo.uni-mannheim.de (I sup it daily) - it helps having access to
a large amount of network drive space.

Any help with the date or system binary problems would be gratefully
accepted.

Cheers,

mark

ps: Mark - the two swap partitions 'seem' to work fine - except that X
has become a little more unstable when swap space is actually being used
- becoming more unstable as more swap is used.

 Mark P Hoyle              |
 Mathematics Department    |   "If you want to imagine the future,
 Royal Holloway College    |        imagine a boot stamping
 m.p.hoyle@rhbnc.ac.uk     |        on a human face forever"
 Tel: 01784 443696         |               - George Orwell's 1984