Subject: Re: sligthly confused
To: NetBSD port-arm32 <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mark Brinicombe <amb@physig.ph.kcl.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 01/20/1997 02:44:52
On Sat, 18 Jan 1997, Peter Berg wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Today I discovered a message during the boot phase that I can't explain:
>
> com0 at pioc0 base 0xf6210fe0-0xf6210fe7 irq 10: ns16550a, working fifo
> com1 at pioc0 base 0xf6210be0-0xf6210be7: ns16550a, working fifo
> ^^^^
>
> What device is com1 in the RiscPC ???
> As far as I know the RPC only has one serial port. If you don't agree, look
> at the backside of your RPC and count them ;)

This is because the latest kernels were built with a second com device
configured.
The second serial port does exist in the Combo chip in the RiscPC. The
device has IDE, floppy, parallel and 2 serial but only one of these is
available at the back of the machine.
The message is indicating that the kernel has found a second working
serial port in the hardware. However due to not external connector you
cannot use it. Also you will note that is does not have an interrupt  as
Acorn did not wire the second serial port IRQ line to the IOMD ;-(

So basically you can ignore the line as com1 cannot acutally be used.

Cheers,
				Mark