Subject: Re: Cumana & SCSI
To: Philip Blundell <pjb27@cam.ac.uk>
From: Neil A. Carson <Carson@rmcs.cranfield.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 01/15/1997 13:54:21
On Wed 15 Jan, Philip Blundell wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Jan 1997, Ben Strawson wrote:
>
> > Would it be possible to work out the necessary Cumana related information
> > from probing around in the hardware.  I gather that this has been done for
> > other bits of hardware - is the Cumana more difficult?  OK, you run a
> > risk of wiping areas of drives connected to the card, but is this
> > feasible?  I am sure commenting on the feasibility of such a project does
> > not break the NDA.
>
> I believe it ought to be possible to reverse-engineer the Cumana card and
> write _some_ sort of a driver, given suitable amounts of time and
> inclination.  What hardware is on there?
>
> It wouldn't be all that easy though.

It uses the sfas216. The problemis not knowing what the hardware is; the problem
is working out just why the (existing, which functions fine with the same
controller on another platform) driver keeps hanging; which is significantly
more complex, though not as complex as writing a driver from scratch.

	Neil

--
* Neil A Carson (Carson@rmcs.cranfield.ac.uk)
* The Royal Military College of Science, Shrivenham.