Subject: Re: SCSI disks for news server
To: None <A.I.Terlevich@durham.ac.uk>
From: Thomas Boroske <y0001006@ws.rz.tu-bs.de>
List: port-arm32
Date: 01/14/1997 14:27:10
In message <Pine.SUN.3.91-941213.970114121213.2864C-100000@dust0.dur.ac.uk> you wrote:

>   Ok. This is probably posible, but it's ANNOYING!
>
> I had a similar setup to what you suggest above, but I've got a 420MB IDE
> disk and a cumana SCSI II card (works the same as the powertec).
>
>   I have my entire IDE disk for RiscBSD plus 200Mb of the SCSI.  I at
> first tried having the important parts of the system on IDE, and less
> important things on the SCSI (like kernel sources, emacs and TeX) and
> this certainly works.
>
>   What's ANNOYING is that the problem with these drivers isn't just the
> slow transfer rates, but also the fact that because they poll the
> hardware, they really hog the CPU, so for instance while compiling a new
> kernel I couldn't really do anything else, no matter now nice I made the
> compiling task.

Yes, that's about the biggest problem.

>   Now I use the SCSI disk as temp storage for data. If I want to work on
> it I copy it onto my IDE disk, then back when it's finished.
>
> (It's also used to boot off, as you need to have an ADFS partition on a
> disk for unixfs to be able to use it it seems - unixfs doesn't see my
> entirely RiscBSD IDE disk)

If you know this before, you could cure that by creating a very small (say
1 MB) partition on it, I guess ?

>   If you only have a 210Mb IDE then you'll need more if the 'vital'
> system on your SCSI.  It will be useable, but a pain.
>
>   Hope this ramble is of some use!

It certainly is. If I think about it, large parts of RiscBSD will be
used all the time, for example all the X stuff, so 210MB will be a tad
small.

I never intended to use this kind of setup all the time, of course,
so I think the feasability of this idea depends strongly on wether
and when the improved drivers will be available.

Thanks for the anwer,

--
Thomas Boroske