Subject: Re: RiscBSD News Server
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Duncan Ferguson <d.ferguson@worc.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 01/13/1997 09:46:14
Mark Brinicombe <amb@physig.ph.kcl.ac.uk> wrote:

> What SCSI card would you be using ? Currently the SCSI performance is not
> good but I hope to be able to look at this in detail shortly.

As you saw in another post i am asking which would be best.
Currently i have only what was supplied in the machine when it was
bought (before i got here) so it is a case of buying the gear i
need.

> The alternative would be several IDE discs on a podule. Currently on the
> ICS podule is supported but I expect to support several more podules
> shortly.

I seem to remember that SCSI disks would be faster overall than IDE
in most cases, although they are more expensive.  Since an IDE podule
could only take 2 disks extra, whereas SCSI can go up to 7 i would
have thought SCSI better, but then than depends again on the disks i
get - 2x4.5g or 1x9g.  Can two smaller disks be meshed together as
suggested?  The way you said 'several IDE disks' above seems like it
can, but i am a novice to UNIX (although i have a good book to use as
reference) and there is no mention in my book on single partitions
over multiple disks.

> What time scale are you looking at ?

I have no timescale as such, but the sooner the better i guess.

> Then there is the etherH driver ... Thihas also caused problems but I am
> currently actively writing a new driver from scratch. (I would have had
> it done if it was not for BETT ;-)

I hope BETT went well!  (I am sure i can tell which one you would
wanted to do more ;o)

Cheers,

  Duncs.

| Duncan Ferguson                  I.T. Support Advisor |
|         Worcester College of Higher Education         |
| My views are not necessarily supported by the college |
|                And who can blame them?                |