Subject: Re: SUP from non-RiscBSD machines
To: Sergio Monesi <msergio@mbox.vol.it>
From: Scott Ashcroft <ashcroft@campus.bt.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 01/12/1997 20:53:23
On Sat 11 Jan, Sergio Monesi wrote:
> I downloaded the latest kernel sources taken from ftp.netbsd.org
> (NetBSD-current). I had a few problems compiling it as I had to change some
> reference from rd to md, remove the -Werror because the file ioconf.c
> reported many warnings and hack the Makefiles (probably because I haven't
> installed GNU make) but it finally compiled! Unfortunately ps, top, w, etc.
> no longer works...

You need to rebuild the kvm library then rebuild ps, top and w from source.
The file ARM specific file in the kvm library also needs to be hacked to
add in some missing functions. (I stole them from the SPARC version and it
seems to work)

> After all, it seems that the kernel I compiled is exactly the same as
> SA110-4871 except the fact that I can't run ps! It is also almost as big as
> SA110-4871 (1.6Mb) although I think I removed some feature from the config
> file (eg. all the SCSI and Ethernet drivers). How can I keep the size down, I
> believe Mark said something about kernel sizes recently but I can't remember
> what he said...

Don't know. Size never usually bothers me.

> Where can I find a list of kernel changes after a certain date? I haven't
> been able to find anything on ftp.netbsd.org but I haven't spent much time, I
> have to admit...
>
> > You could install sup on whatever your machine-with-netaccess-is (if it's a
> > unix box) and sup to it via a daily/weekly crontask which you can then tar
> > up and transfer (some tars do incremental archives so you only need to
> > transfer the changes)
> > If you want a sup file that works just ask.
>
> Yes, I now nothing at all about sup so I'd like to see a complete
> configuration script/file in order to run it on a FreeBSD machine I have
> access to. Unfortunately I can't download 8Mb of data every time... but I
> think that this exactly the point in using sup rather than downloading a big
> tar file...

Correct sup will allow only the changes to be downloaded.

> Also, I can't run crontab nor I can install anything that needs root access.
> I believe that sup is already installed on that machine, though.

sup can be run as a normal user I've got it built on an HP-UX machine and all
I do is sup the stuff down with -v on so I can see what files have been downloaded
, tar those files up and take them home by ftp.

--
Scott Ashcroft		ashcroft@campus.bt.com