Subject: Re: compiling probs and make.
To: Ale Terlevich <A.I.Terlevich@durham.ac.uk>
From: Jasper Wallace <jasper@ivision.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 01/07/1997 16:54:28
On Tue, 7 Jan 1997, Ale Terlevich wrote:

>   Just thought I'd mail this to save anyone else compiling their own
> kernel some time.
>
>   It appears that you need the latest version of make
> (/usr/src/usr.bin/make) from netbsd-current to compile the latest source
> tree, otherwise it dies with "Unknown modifier 'Q'" errors when compiling
> the kern library.
>
> (At least compiling the latest make made the errors go away!)

You also need to make install the new system makefiles in src/share/mk/
so you can rebuild the kvm library (libkvm.old) in src/lib so you can
rebuild kvm_mkdb which now creates the kvm db as /var/db/kvm.db instead of
/var/lib/kvm_netbsd.db so that you can now use the new versions of ps,
netstat systat & w. (since the old ones won't work) (whew!)

Oh and you need to modify the bsd.own.mk makefile in /usr/share/mk:

# don't try to generate PIC versions of libraries on machines
# which don't support PIC.
.if (${MACHINE_ARCH} == "mips") || (${MACHINE_ARCH} == "vax") ||\
    (${MACHINE_ARCH} == "arm32") ||\
    ((${MACHINE_ARCH} == "alpha") && !defined(ELF_TOOLCHAIN))
NOPIC=
.endif

(just add the arm32 line and make sure the "\"'s are right) other wise the
kvm lib will try to compile with -fpic which fails ;-)))

P.S. the new ftp with the progress bar is cute  ;-)

P.P.S if you don't have the full source tree I can tar up the binaries...

--
Jasper Wallace-Internet Vision | Caving-Acorn-RiscBSD-Chocolate-Banks-Fish
My opinions != IVisions's      | PovRay-FVWM-Perl-C-Mono-Food-Wired-?