Subject: Re: EtherH "not configured"...
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Chris Rutter <chris@collegium.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 01/06/1997 11:47:23
> >  I have just recently got an I-cubed internal "NIC" card for the RiscPC,
> > with BNC and CAT connectors. This is working fine under RISC OS. However,
> > I wanted to add this to RiscBSD. So, on booting up RiscBSD, I saw that
> > "netslot0: I-cubed ..." was reported, but later "podule8: not configured".
>
> Which kernel is this you are running ?

 I *was* running sa-4871, but when I changed to sa-4740, it recognised the
eh0 device.

> Does the kernel report the card as an etherH ? From you message it is
> clear it recognised the card as an icubed card but did it recognise it as
> an etherH or did it report a product id ?

 Yes, apparently 4871 didn't have etherh support.

> If it reports a product id then this means that icubed have changed
> something (They did this one when they went from EEPROM to FLASH memory
> on the card). In this case what is the id reported ?

 Erm, can't remember.

> If you are running your own built kernel, you have got an eh0
> device in your kernel config ?

> >  Anyway, I created a valid /etc/hostname.eh0, ran /usr/sbin/local/rcm
> > and tried again, to be told "SIOCGIFFLAGS: device not configured" during
> > boot-up. Hmm.
> >
> >  I tried "ifconfig -a", and eh0 was not listed. Apparently, the "eh0" device
> > does not exist anywhere on the system! Can anyone help?
> Ok if the device was not configured then none of these steps will work as
> observed.

 However, once or twice, 4740 seems to default to the 10bT interface, saying
stuff like "Heartbeat not found" and so on... however sometimes it gets the
right 10b2 interface and works fine...

Cheers,
Chris.
--